Ever need a boost? Inspiration? A kick forward? I did. The year was 2012. At the time my kids were ages 15 and 9. Their world was moving quickly and mine was standing still. I had been in the same management position for quite a few years. My industry was not jumping on the social media train. I was starting to feel irrelevant and left behind. My kids started to know more about digital communication than me. With a marketing degree and communications emphasis continuing to age, I needed a revival.
That opportunity caught me by surprise at my 5 a. m. workout class. In walked a substitute instructor. She introduced herself and made brief mention of her company, Allée. Even at that early hour, my curiosity peaked. That night I started reading her blog and checking out her website. She had a part-time marketing assistant position posted. Could I fit that into my schedule? Didn’t hurt to ask. Turns out Melissa had filled the position but brought up the idea of an internship – unpaid. Unpaid? Correct, no money. But, I was looking for a jump-start and was ready to learn. It became the start of my revival – and it’s been worth every moment!
Four years in, I am still with Allée on a part-time basis and yes, as a paid employee. To celebrate #AlleeTurns10 here are 10 things I have learned on this awesome journey:
- Never underestimate the power of an internship. At any age and for any reason, we all need someone to take a chance on our skills. This role allowed me to think differently.
- Network. In personal and professional worlds, get out there and let people know what you can do. Referrals are the most reliable lead.
- Remote teams truly are successful! I had a traditional workplace mindset where collaboration was strongest in a side-by-side work environment. I have since learned that collaboration is not always a direct result of proximity; it is a skill inherent in successful people regardless of where you sit.
- Get out of that comfort zone! I had a lot to learn. Melissa has high expectations for herself and her staff, and she is willing to invest in them. Surround yourself with people who push you beyond what you know.
- Content marketing is a strategy, not a social media game. Your digital presence can make or break your brand personally and professionally. Use it wisely and let those experienced guide you. There really is a method to the madness.
- Live your brand! Be authentic, genuine and transparent. Companies are watching you.
- Seek fulfillment. I kept trying to find balance in my life. I have learned that all new opportunities will always have some cost or sacrifice. I will never achieve ‘balance’ but I am definitely more fulfilled!
- ROI isn’t only measured in numbers. In the long run, we all like to see the bottom line from our efforts. The financial payout is a direct result of connections made, conversations, and loyalty.
- Be a life-long learner. The world requires it.
- I am relevant. I am a project manager, a mentor, a business analyst and a volunteer leader. With Allée, I have become a blogger, a ghostwriter and an analytics specialist. Our impact is endless. We all just need to act on it!